Local Digital Coalition Steering Group meeting minutes | January 2017

12 May 2017

Action from last meeting carried forward

  • Health & Social Care plan meeting

 

Update regarding GDS digital strategy

  • Sounds as if the strategy that was due to be released late last year will now be coming out toward the end of the month.
  • GDS are doing a series of roadshows discussing better ways of working together, initially aimed at Central Gov but following recent conversations has been opened up to Local Gov as well. Please circulate to interested contacts.

 

CRM/Case Management initiative

  • Following CC2i's slot at the last coalition meeting introducing their new crowdfunding service, Leeds have engaged with Kirklees Council-managed organisation Looking Local to take forward development of their CRM/Case Management system.
  • Seed funding sourced to engage a Looking Local consultant to do some high level requirements leading to a business case. Over the last couple of months they have held two workshops.
  • Currently limited to 4 partner councils who have contributed requirements. The smaller number of participants helps keep scope and requirements manageable, while still giving a broad enough range of stakeholders to make sure key generic requirements are captured. Have tried to keep things simple, with an 80/20 'good enough is good enough' principle.
  • Approach is to have a 'componentised', modular system that councils can adopt piecemeal as they require it rather than building one monolithic system that does everything.
    • MVP is a CRM/Case Management system with a forms engine.
    • Forms engine still to be properly scoped and defined.
    • All requirements beyond this scope are being treated as 'bolt-ons'.
  • Leeds have designed something that could be the core of such a system, and hope to have a prototype by the end of the month.
  • Next steps:
    • Document requirements
    • Create technical and functional specifications and share with the wider group (limiting group to 6 for now)
    • Look for ways of funding further development. Leeds have funded this so far, but looking to share further costs in order to take product to the next level. This could be where CC2i come into it.
  • Lots of interest off the back of the last newsletter, and several councils who will be interested in getting involved once the product reaches a certain point of maturity. Sustainability will be key, and CC2i may be able to help with this part as well.
    • Sustainability is hard, it might be more effective to find something that already exists and has a support community. How much of the requirement can be achieved with things that are already out there?
      • Did some research and some site visits looking at existing options, but if you want 2-way integration with line of business systems in real time there isn't really anything else out there.
  • Will Verify be considered when looking at Authentication options?
    • Yes, Verify will be one of the considerations for this.
  • What is the expected timescale for a workable product that can be shared? Couple of authorities have approached very recently asking about CRM, so if near term it might be worth connecting them with Leeds.
    • With Leeds prototype due end of month, would expect to have a good view of what is happening with the product in about 3 months. Happy for requestors to be passed through.
  • Camden, Haringey and Islington are currently looking at Customer Experience. Is customer experience a driving force behind development decisions? Will there be a customer journey in the new spec?
    • Yes, have encouraged development team to put the basic form out and develop with customer feedback. Has been a learning process, but this approach is getting more comfortable.
      • Hoping to have more clarity on CH&I vision mid-this year, so will fit in well with Leeds timelines.
  • Would be good to follow the Local Government Digital Service Standard as part of this development.
    • Agreed, will take that away.
  • iStand are currently going out to pre-procurement support for a platform that will do 'customer experience', and have created a 'vision' of the features that they think should be in something like this. Would be happy to share.
    • Yes please, but need to manage expectations. At this moment this is an MVP and will not be heavy duty. Will be able to give more detail when the spec is released, but happy to share the HLD in the meantime.
  • Action: Share iStand 'Vision' document around customer experience platform
  • Action: Share HLD for CRM/Case Management development

 

Ripple Open Integrated Digital Care Record Update and the Open Digital Platform Challenge Fund

  • Dr Tony Shannon dialled into the meeting to share progress on Ripple since the first Coalition meeting in June
  • Ripple is a clinically led and community owned not-for-profit organisation, which is important for maintaining neutrality. It is built on open source principles, with the aim of taking lessons learned in Leeds around Electronic Patient Record development and sharing them more widely. It is about crafting components you might need to build an EPR and making them open and usable by others.
  • The last 6-8 months have been focused on building components/frameworks that should be possible to reuse, including UI and Middleware layers.
  • Health has been prevented from taking forward many initiatives by the state of the IT industry, and really believe that the introduction of an open platform in healthcare will be transformative. Aim is to seed open source components into the environment to help drive this process.
  • Progress updates:
    • South Tyneside currently paused due to merger, but should be going live soon.
    • In Leeds Dylan Roberts is making a push for person health records.
    • In Dublin at least one major hospital is planning to move onto the Ripple stack.
    • Northern Ireland are also looking at a bi-model strategy to foster this work in order to keep their options open.
    • Engaged with 3 suppliers, each supplying one developer to help make improvements to the stack.
  • Walkthrough of the Social Care demonstration video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfgE3BUvQbY)
    • Data is pulled from legacy systems into the stack and displayed using the Ripple tool.
    • openEHR standard is used internationally. Generic types of data can be modelled using the standard.
      • iStand have been working with LGA talking about a standard for listing locally developed public services. Have used a similar approach to openEHR, and now ready to try and re-engage having had some practice.
      • Happy to re-engage, but important to try and bring standards to life with a demonstration/reference implementation so everyone can understand what it is.
  • How have Ripple found challenges getting data from legacy systems?
    • Where there is a will there is always a way to get data in some shape or form. The problem with some of the big legacy suppliers is that there is often no incentive to help get access to data, but even if you can extract data as HTML views that can sometimes be enough to begin with.
    • Structured data to a consistent standard is very difficult. INTEROpen is a push in UK healthcare to get standard data using APIs, but very early days for this.
  • Would Ripple be in a position to respond to a tender with other partners and present something?
    • Yes, at the moment. But would need to be careful about the environment into which the bid is being submitted as not all are ready for it.
  • Bristol have had a proprietary health record for a few years now (Connecting Care). Asked them how it relates to openEHR, and they advise it is very similar. Any modelling about how someone might migrate from an existing proprietary system to openEHR?
    • Have spoken to [Andy Kinnear, chair of the Connecting Care programme] about the possibility of sitting an openEHR based back end next to the Bristol integration record solution, and technically there is no reason why it couldn't work given political will and funding.
  • The Open Digital Platform Challenge Fund (http://rippleosi.org/open-digital-platform-challenge-fund/):
    • NHS IT was reviewed by a doctor from the US who said that the NHS IT situation as a whole is OK, but hospital IT is weak.
    • The response to this was to give 10 hospitals £10,000,000 each to invest in systems which has tended to be spent on 'Ivy League' suppliers, and Ripple don't think this is the right way.
    • Last year Jeremy Hunt announced £4.2 billion for NHS Health IT. The Challenge Fund is asking for 1% of that investment to be channelled into development of an open platform. With just 1% of the total NHS IT spend over the next few years the whole healthcare IT market could be completely shaken up and revamped.
    • The campaign is inviting expressions of interest for infrastructure projects to help support this.
    • At the London Health CIO meeting last week, Will Smart and Beverly Bryant presented on STP programmes. They covered specific work around the integrated Health and Social Care programme, including a funding stream of around £60 million to help shape the solution to the Integrated Care Record.
      • Technical Architectural document is out for review, looking at federation and joining up. Believe it is going in roughly the right direction, but needs an open platform to encourage innovation.
  • Action: Share Open platform and challenge fund information with the Local CIO Council and Health Local CIO Council in London.
  • Action: Follow up with Coalition members asking them to respond to Tony about the 1% challenge.

 

Governance model

  • LAN presented on collaborative models, including useful questions to ask in order to decide what 'kind' of collaboration is needed.
  • Coalition needs a model that is highly decentralised.
  • At the moment we are doing our own things separately, and it's useful to have something written down that shows a possible future state where we are working more closely.
  • Now needs members to take away reflect on the presentation, but can see elements that can be applied to the CRM work that Leeds are taking forward.
  • The provisional model presented is what the Coalition would be aspiring to if it were well funded, with several workstreams going at once and regular progress being made etc. At the moment members are working independently and reporting progress every now and then, with the Coalition more about general principles and behaviours expected of participants e.g. how we engage with suppliers, funding opportunities, how we express what we're doing to other local government organisations. Would like to see this side of things formalised before the longer term structure of the group is addressed.
  • Action: Coalition members to look at this presentation individually over the next 3 weeks and provide feedback to Lamya. Lamya to collate feedback, integrate into her work and present back to the group.

 

Workstream updates

  • Blue badge
    • Making progress, about to go to a private beta arrangement testing with real users and applications. Service should be operating in March.
    • Compliance testing setup has been done and should work with the Verify programme.
    • Using extract data from DWP instead of API calls for now, as DWP have not yet finished the Attribute Exchange piece at their end. Approach will allow product to go live and start generating feedback at the earliest opportunity.
  • Verify
    • 15 authorities currently still taking part. Key outputs so far - common service patterns and common prototype. 'If you can build your service to look like this, we'll connect you'. Currently in the process of applying for further funds, and with plenty of competition for verification services are hopeful that resource will be made available to keep expanding.
    • Launching first iteration of the service pattern, and showcasing in Newcastle on 10th February. London date for showcase TBD but should be in March.
    • Aim is for test prototypes to be made available for Local Gov organisations to play with in April, with first live services going live in June.
    • Integration into LoB applications is not planned for the near term, and is unlikely to happen at least until the next wave of services are connected.
    • Especially keen to know what the next priority service areas will be, as GDS will be creating patterns per service and need to know where the most pressing need is.
      • PD: Troubled by the idea of GDS having to facilitate the whole end to end process for everything that uses Gov.Verify. Would like modularised APIs and similar functionality that allows Local Gov to pick and choose what they want to implement. A one size fits all approach is unlikely to work for local government.
        • LOH: Currently very bespoke, but the medium term goal is to have enough of a toolkit in place that GDS will have assurance that standards will be met and they can be more hands-off on the details of implementation. Because of the way verification works, it only takes one false account on one local authority site to compromise verification across all organisations using the service.
    • Action: Linda to share the list of services gathered as part of the initial Gov.Verify discovery and circulate to Coalition.
    • PD: Recently ran a Discovery on how to verify identities with local 'my accounts' at local authorities, would be keen to engage on this.
    • PR: When will the commercial model be signed off?
      • LOH: Can't give an answer to that at the moment, but will see if this can be established in time for the next update.
  • Local Waste Service Standard
    • Hoped that this could be turned into a smaller project that Luton could lead with 5 other councils, but funding hasn't yet been made available. Luton is currently waiting for a new head of transformation, so no prospect of this being moved forward until the new head is in place and has had time to settle in and establish priorities.
    • DM: Are Luton happy to hold onto this project for now?
      • AT: Hoping to have news of the appointment by March/April, so hopefully in time for the next Coalition meeting. Should be able to give an update on where things stand.
    • GB: Bristol supplier will be changing their back end system. Will be happy to take a look at Waste Service Standards and see if they can get the supplier to build this into their API.
  • DVLA APIs
    • If final testing goes to plan, the API that allows checking tax status of a vehicle should be available to a small group of customers in February. This API replicates data that is already available to customers at www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax.
    • Currently no timetable available for making vehicle keeper details available on the same API service, but are aiming to start work on that later in the year providing there are sufficient resources available.

 

AOB

  • BC: Local Digital Coalition website hosting runs out in March. Need to arrange renewal.
    • AC: Budget is available, will pick up with BC and look at procurement.
    • Action: AC to arrange for Coalition website hosting renewal.
  • SH: iNetwork is running a Manchester Cybersecurity summit on 7th February. Can this be shared to the wider Coalition?
    • Action: AC to share summit details using Coalition channels.